Monday, November 19, 2012

Culinary Steroids




By Reece Hirsch

What would my protagonist Will Connelly bring to the Criminal Minds Thanksgiving dinner?  Since he is a single, thirty-something guy, don’t expect him to cook.

The things that he knows how to prepare aren’t staples of anyone’s Thanksgiving Day menu – nachos, omelets and pasta.  Will would bring a decent bottle of wine and perhaps a small jar of my great culinary secret – truffle salt.

Truffle salt is to cooking what anabolic steroids are to baseball.  Add truffle salt to a dish and you will make the inedible edible, the mediocre good and the good amazing.

What’s so great about truffle salt?  Well, first, it’s salt, which is already one of my vices.  When it comes to white, granular substances, there are worse addictions.

Second, as you would expect, truffle salt contains tiny specks of ground truffle.  People pay hundreds of dollars for liberal shavings of black truffles on a pasta dish, but truffle salt is relatively inexpensive and it has just enough of the precious stuff to add that rich, aromatic truffle essence to a dish.  And, most important of all for guys like me, you don’t have to be Alice Waters, David Chang or even Guy Fieri to achieve the effect.

7 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

Yum. Sounds great. I'll have a look for some of that.

Meredith Cole said...

You made me wonder how it tastes, too, Reece! I hope all our detectives aren't single non-cooks, or else our Thanksgiving dinner is going to be mostly liquid (and take-out!).

Reece said...

Vicki and Meredith -- Thanks for stopping by. As you might have guessed, Will stands in as a proxy for me when it comes to cooking ability. However, I totally stand behind my recommendation of truffle salt. Try it on eggs, pasta, popcorn, french fries -- you won't be disappointed.

Alan Orloff said...

Thanks, Reece. I shall put truffle salt on my grocery list, right after gingerbread Oreos.

Reece said...

Alan - How did I not know about gingerbread Oreos? Heading for Safeway right now ...

Alan Orloff said...

Reece - supposedly, they're only available at Target. But when my wife went today, they didn't have any!

Reece said...

Thanks, Alan. The quest begins.