What 3 mystery books are “must reads” for those who have never read mysteries before?
So many great books to recommend! So many potential “must reads”! How can one possibly choose?
By narrowing things down using my Book-Sort-O-Matic Machine (patent pending)!
I hauled it out of deep storage, replaced the flux capacitor, and programmed the following criteria:
1) Book written by an author who is either an Edgar Award winner or MWA Grand Master.
2) Book itself either won, or was nominated for, a prestigious mystery-writing award.
3) Book features a detective (police or PI).
4) Book has a color in the title.
5) I read the book and enjoyed it.
Three choices popped out!
Winner of the Edgar Award for Best First Novel in 1993, this is the first in the Harry Bosch series.
The Blue Edge of Midnight – Jonathon King
Featuring ex-cop Max Freeman, this won the Edgar Award for Best First Novel in 2003.
This is the seventh novel in the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series (nominated for a Shamus Award in 1998).
What’s your favorite mystery with a color in the title?