Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Kent Wynn, and others

Have you ever stopped abruptly and taken up a different project and never gone back to the old one?

When I first read this question I thought my answer was going to be a brief "nope".

But then recalled that time I did a full stop and went in a completely new direction. After one too many disappointments; I turned my back 180 degrees on my stupid futile crime novels that would never make it, and instead got into writing literary brochures.

Well, one literary brochure. Yes, it was the product of pain, bitterness, and solitude, something like a writer's version of punching the wall. The brochure was filled with puns and satire, and at least took my mind off things. In fact I had a heck of a lot of evil fun creating faces -- using an online face-maker program, something like the police use for their composites -- to go with the invented book titles and authors.


This mean spiteful revenge session lasted for about one night, but the brochure was something I continued to tinker with for some time afterwards. The self-pity was more sustained, but in time I was back to writing my stupid futile crime novels, which actually did make it— so the answer to the last part of the question is still "no". 

Blow-ups are bound to happen in any endeavour, and I believe it's healthier to vent (within reason) than to pretend all is good in the world. It's also good to get up soon as possible and get back to work.

And here's an excerpt:

2 comments:

RJ Harlick said...

A fun way to vent, R.M. But good you went back to crime writing.

Paul D. Marks said...

Glad you went back to writing "futile" crime novels, RM :-)